September 18, 2005

Rags over the River

The Poet contacted me a while back, asking me to take The VIsiting Poet flyfishing. All right, I said, and let's ask Recent Graduate as well. Eventually, the Senior was asked to come along too, and the five of us spent Saturday on the Arkansas River.

September and October are the payoff for spring blizzards and summer heat. This day, the temperatures were warm, the rabbitbrush (chamisa) was in golden bloom, and the first leaves were turning golden on the willows too.

The water was low and clear, and the trout were spooky, but we all caught some. And we tested various rhymes for "Orvis," since Visiting Poet has done some product testing for that firm.

Part of the river where we fished is in the crosshairs of High Art. Christo and Jeanne-Claude want to hang fabric across it, a project known locally as "Rags over the River." How wonderful. I find myself agreeing with the Denver Post headline, "Locals say river is art in itself," placed on Rick Tosche's Sunday column (link may expire).

With any luck, however, we can drag this thing out until Christo dies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a web site or any mailing address or email for "rags over the river"? If you know any way to contact them, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Bill from Pueblo

Chas S. Clifton said...

Bill,

I have not yet noticed an actual Web site for the anti-Christo group--who seem mostly to be from Howard and Cotopaxi, which makes sense, since they would be most affected. Sorry. I just don't think it is that organized yet.

Chas